Do you love whiskey? Are you a big fan of the traditional brands and labels that make up the world of whiskey and bourbon both? Do you find yourself often wishing you know where to get started learning to love whiskey, or where to find the perfect mix-in for your whiskey-based cocktail?
There are a lot of different types of whiskey and bourbon on the shelves of any liquor store, and it can take some time to narrow down the options and find the best place to begin. If you find yourself struggling with shopping for whiskey—either for yourself or to give to others as gifts—then Jack Daniel’s may be a great option for you.
Jack Daniel’s has been around for a long time and continues to be one of the best-selling labels in the whiskey world. This Tennessee-based whiskey offers many different variations to choose from, and all of them are backed by the quality and attention to detail that has made Jack Daniel’s such a household name.
Read on to find out more about how best to enjoy Jack for yourself.
History of Jack Daniel’s Whiskey
Jack Daniel’s Distillery was founded in the later half of the 19th century by Jasper Newtown Daniel, who learned the art of distillation from a man named Nathan Green. When the distillery was first founded, it became the first legally registered distillery in the country. From the very beginning, Jack Daniel’s distilled Old No. 7, which is still its best-selling product today.
During Prohibition, the whiskey produced at the distillery was stored rather than destroyed or sold. When Prohibition was repealed, it took several years for the distillery to get back on its feet entirely again. From there, Jack Daniel’s took off as one of the most widely-recognized labels in the United States, and it flourished throughout the decades as it became synonymous with the music scene across many genres.
Moving into the future, Jack Daniel’s continues to create unique drinks while focusing largely on those that made it such a longstanding part of American culture at the same time.
Are you ready to take a look at some of the products from the Jack Daniel’s line? There are lots to pick from, and we’re really only going to scratch the surface with our recommendations below. These are some of the best-selling products from the Jack Daniel’s label, so they’re a good place to get started searching for your new favorite liquor.
• Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Fire: Looking for something spicy and spectacular to add a kick to your cocktails? Try Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Fire for a unique experience you’ll want to sip again and again. This is a very hot and spicy liquor that’s made with a combination of cinnamon liqueur and classic Old No. 7 Jack Daniel’s whiskey. The drink is orange-golden and bottled with a red label that gives it a striking appearance before you ever even open the bottle. Coming in at 70 proof, this is a stronger blend than some of the other flavored liquors from Jack Daniel’s.
• Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Honey: Although it’s a relative newcomer to the Jack Daniel’s catalog, Tennessee Honey has nevertheless already made a name for itself among the other products from this distillery. Tennessee Honey is a light gold whiskey with a lower alcohol content than some of the others from the same label. It’s mild, very sweet, and tastes great when it’s used as the base for sweeter cocktails. This liquor is enjoyable enough on its own, but it is better as a mix-in and probably won’t stand up as well to sipping neat as some of the others from the line. With that said, however, it can provide a nice entry into the world of whiskey for those who are new to this liquor.
• Jack Daniel’s Old No. 7: For a truly traditional experience, give Old No. 7 a try. This is the whiskey that’s been around for over 150 years, and the recipe hasn’t really changed much in all that time. Old No. 7 is mellowed with charcoal and aged in handmade barrels to give it the golden brown color and sweet, rich flavor it’s known for. Sip it on the rocks or enjoy it neat for best results. If you like, you can also mix it into whiskey-based cocktails to improve the flavor of the cocktail overall with this classic, widely recognized liquor.
• Jack Daniel’s Gentleman Jack: This is one of the more mellow and sophisticated flavors from the Jack Daniel’s line. It is a charcoal-mellowed whiskey that is put through the process twice in order to make it subtle, smooth and incredibly high-class from start to finish. This is a warm and fruity whiskey with a beautiful golden color that looks impressive in the bottle as well as in a glass. Drink it at room temperature, neat, or try it on the rocks.
• Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Straight Rye Whiskey: If you prefer rye whiskeys but you want to stick to the flavors and aromas Jack Daniel’s is known for, why not try this Tennessee Straight Rye Whiskey? This is a unique charcoal-mellowed variation of rye whiskey that’s made from mineral water, just like all of the Jack Daniel’s products. The end result is spicy and complex, but still smooth enough to enjoy sipping on the rocks. This liquor is best enjoyed as-is or with a little ice, but it isn’t ideal for mixing into cocktails most of the time.
Are you ready to get out there and buy a bottle or two of Jack Daniel’s? There are a lot of different styles to choose from, so don’t rush yourself; take your time and consider the options to find the one that’s right for you. And remember, Jack has been around for a long time, so there’s no reason to be concerned about the quality. This is a label that cares about its customers and its products, so you’re sure to be pleased with the results no matter which bottle you end up buying.