Have you ever wanted to sample a little bit of the Old West in your alcohol? Or have you ever wondered if there are really any great bourbons available outside of Kentucky and maybe Tennessee? If you’re looking for something new and original to try and you’re a big fan of bourbon already, you may want to sample some of the bottles available from High West Bourbon.
High West Bourbon is a delicious and accessible line of bourbons made by a distillery located in Utah. These bourbons are different from those made in the Southern United States, and their differences only help heighten the experience when you sample them.
In this article, we’ll show you a little bit about High West Bourbon and help you find the perfect bottle from their lineup, too. Let’s get started!
History of High West Bourbon
Unlike some of the other bourbon distilleries in the country, High West Distillery has not been around very long. Founded in 2006 in Park City, Utah, this distillery came about from inspirations taken from Maker’s Mark in Kentucky. High West began making its bourbons the year after it was founded, and the company ha never looked back since.
Originally, High West was only intended to be a local company. It functioned out of an old stable in Park City, and it ran a small still with a volume of only 250 gallons. However, the flavors and varieties of the bourbon offered by this company caught on fast, and it soon became extremely popular around the country and even around the world. From there, High West opened a second and much larger location, although the original location is still available for food and whiskey pairings in a unique and original gastropub-style setting.
High West was the first legal distillery operating in Utah since 1870, and as such, it tries to incorporate the history and background of the state into each glass and bottle of bourbon sold.
If you’ve never tried any of the products from High West before, you’re in for a surprise. These are delicious and incredible liquors that are sure to make you stand up and take notice. Check out our list of recommended best-selling products below, or take your time and explore the distillery’s catalog to find the right flavor combination for your needs. Remember that some of these are more traditional than others, so give yourself a chance to find the one that suits your tastes the most.
• High West American Prairie Bourbon Whiskey: Get started enjoying the High West line of products with one of their top best sellers. This Prairie Bourbon Whiskey is based on the Old West and features a light golden color that looks elegant in the simple bottle it comes packaged in. This is a strong bourbon that works well for sipping as well as mixing into bourbon-based cocktails. Best of all, 10% of every bottle of this bourbon sold is donated to the American Prairie Foundation so the distillery can give back a little bit to the part of the country that means so much to its founder.
• High West Campfire Whiskey: This golden whiskey is sweet, rich, and sure to please newcomers to the world of bourbon as well as those who have been enjoying it for a long time. With a strong taste of honey on the front and plenty of fruit and spicy aromas from start to finish, this incredible liquor is ideal for sipping neat and enjoying as part of your next get-together with friends or family. This is a warm and enticing drink that is best enjoyed as-is; mixing it into a cocktail might mask the delicate balance of flavor that makes this whiskey so impressive.
• High West Rendezvous Rye Whiskey: When you need a rye whiskey you can sip or enjoy in cocktails, Rendezvous Rye is the way to go. This light red-brown liquor is a blend of one six-year-old rye and one sixteen-year-old rye, and the end result is a delectable combination you’ll have to sip to believe. The liquor is excellent for sipping on the rocks or neat, but the distillery also recommends using it in cocktails such as Sazaracs for a truly stunning experience.
• High West Limited Sighting BouRye Whiskey: Looking for something a bit more unique than the other products on the list? If so, this BouRye whiskey is a great place to get started. As you might suspect, this liquor is a combination of bourbon and rye whiskeys that is designed for sipping slowly and enjoying lazily. With a heavy vanilla and toffee flavor balanced by caramel, nuts and honey throughout, this delicious light amber-gold liquor is sure to quickly become one of your favorites.
• High West Yippee Ki-Yay: This sessionable and accessible whiskey is aged for a short time in wine barrels to give it a unique rusty red color and a wine-based flavor and aroma. The wine helps mellow out the harsh flavors of the bourbon, and the bourbon in turn helps keep the wine from being too overpoweringly sweet. The end result of this unique experiment is cinnamon, dark cherry and brown sugar on the nose with flavors of licorice, jam and woodiness in the forefront. The distillery suggests allowing this liquor to sit in the glass for a few minutes before sipping and to always enjoy it neat and at room temperature.
Now that you’ve had a chance to check out some of the products available from High West Distillery, you may be ready to rush out and buy a bottle or two. Just remember that you should take your time and consider the different potential uses of all of the products from this distillery’s line. Some of these may be more traditionally suited than others, and some may be better for sipping versus use in cocktails. Depending on how you want to enjoy your bourbon, there are plenty of great recipes for you to choose from when you go with High West Distillery.