‘Long’ John Macdonald took out a licence for his Ben Nevis distillery on the outskirts of Fort William in 1825. His son Peter took up the reins soon after and built a significant business and by the end of the 19th century, when blended Scotch was becoming the fashion, Long John’s Dew of Ben Nevis was a successful brand.
Ben Nevis fell silent in 1978, and was sold to new owners who completely refurbished the site. In 1989, Ben Nevis was sold again, this time to the Japanese distiller Nikka. These days the Single Malt can be found as a 10 year old and Macdonald's Traditional Ben Nevis Whisky.