Caperdonich was built as "Glen Grant No. 2", over the road from its parent distillery in Rothes. Opening in 1898, it was, like several other distilleries that opened in the late Victorian Whisky Boom, to close almost immediately in 1902. The stills were silent until the 1960s, and it was expanded in 1967 and in 1977 it was finally given the "Caperdonich" name. The distillery was acquired by Pernod-Ricard in 2002; this was the year of the distillery’s final closure.
Although the buildings were demolished in 2011, the site itself is very much still involved in the Whisky industry as it is owned by Forsyth's - one of the world's leading manufacturers of distilling equipment. More recently we have seen a range of bottling (both peated and unpeated) under the Pernod-Ricard Secret Stills branding. These bottlings are probably the most cost-effective way of owning Whisky from a true lost distillery. When they're gone, they're gone!