Miltonduff was established in 1824 at Pluscarden near Elgin. This is an area where an abbey existed until the early 17th Century (and which was rebuilt in the 1940s) which may have meant that distilling took place centuries before the official opening date as monks were the first people to bring distilling to Scotland.
A few changes of ownership have occurred, culminating in the takeover by Canadian distiller Hiram Walker in 1936. "Lomond" stills were installed in 9164 to produce heavier malt; this make, Mosstowie is occasionally still seen. Miltonduff is now owned by Pernod Ricard through Chivas Brothers.